Monday, May 1, 2017

Dracula: Dead and Loving It

Last night I was in the mood for something lighthearted, so I had a bit of a dig around and came up with a Mel Brooks film I had completely missed.


This movie isn't as well known as Brooks previous outing, Robin Hood: Men inTights (1993) nor is it quite as funny.
Don't get me wrong, Dracula is a funny movie, full of the Brooks-style humor that makes his films so enjoyable. But there is something that's missing. Or maybe it's too constrained by the Dracula story, maybe the version I saw was cut in a weird manner, I don't know.

We get a sterling cast, with the titular vampire played by Leslie Nielsen, and Mel himself playing Professor van Helsing.
Nielsen is wonderful here. He runs the full range from goofy to menacing, and I had never before seen him as intimidating, but he pulled it of beautifully. Can't help feel a bit sorry for him though, no Dracula has ever had it so difficult before.

The film in general is surprisingly pretty. Sure it's “just a comedy”, but it is wonderfully made. From costumes to set design, it all works with an eye for detail. Also, the dialog is at times hilarious.
The story, is perhaps where it stumbles a bit. If you have seen any earlier Dracula movies, then you know exactly what happens next. Compared to Men in Tights, where you were constantly surprised, we just go from scene to scene, almost as if following a formula, which I don't think Brooks used to do.

Anyway, I think it's an overall good movie. I liked it, and if you're in the mood for a nice and slightly silly comedy, give it a go.

I'll leave you with the trailer, and until next time, have a vampire free week!

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGCKrgSeXcE

No comments: