Monday, May 22, 2017

Twin Peaks 2017

Well, the time has finally come. After the prophesied twenty-five years, Twin Peaks is back!

I didn't watch the original Twin Peaks back in 1990 when it ran on TV, but several of my class mates did, and they raved about it. It wasn't until I met my wife, almost ten years later, who had the whole thing on VHS that I saw the whole thing, and I loved it.

Twin Peaks is weird, odd, funny and chilling, all at the same time. It's also surreal, strange, brilliant and heavily symbolic. A murder mystery at heart that goes off the deep end with a gleeful howl. All of this is true, but it also doesn't really do it justice. Being the brain child of David Lynch, that kind of goes without saying.

Towards the end of the original run, Laura Palmer tells Agent Dale Cooper, See you in 25 years and that's how long it's been, and now it's back.

It premiered yesterday, and the few reviews I have been able to find are mostly positive. Like with all of Lynch's works, it will probably take time to digest, but I'm hopeful. I should probably point out that I haven't seen the new stuff myself yet.

It seems that Lynch has grabbed every original actor he could to continue the story, which I like, but it remains to be seen whether it's to give you a sense of nostalgia or because the story genuinely needs it. It is a continuation, but from what people can tell, also more. There are locations in New York and Las Vegas, which indicates a wider mystery than we've seen so far. All very interesting indeed.

Although there are a couple of episodes out, it's much too early to really form an opinion, but I'm cautiously optimistic. I really liked the original show, and I hope the new one isn't as boringly bland as the X-files restart was. Time will tell.

Point of order: if you haven't seen the original 29 episodes and the movie Fire walk with me, then you're going to have to watch them first. No synopsis or explanation is going to really help. It's as much an experience as a story.

Well, I'm off. Until we see each other again, have a great week!

No comments: