Monday, September 28, 2015

The sound of Doom

Yesterday I stumbled into retro alley. More specifically the corner where Doom lives.

Back in the day I played DOOM and DOOM 2 like crazy. They were great games by all standards, but today we're taking a short look at the soundtracks.

The soundtrack in both games always stood out to me. They were just magnificent, and remember, back in those days, a PC's sound card wasn't exactly what it is today. But the melodies were both haunting and exciting at the same time. They gave you a foreboding feeling of well, doom, and at the same time pumped you up for the fights ahead. What more could you ask of a games music?

The creator of the soundtracks is Robert (Bobby) Prince, a former lawyer turned composer. What really blew my mind is that apparently most – if not all – songs on the Doom and Doom 2 soundtracks were based heavily on famous metal songs. I've heard these songs countless times but I had no idea. The video below might contain some inaccuracies but most entries are more than close enough. Take a look.




That's this weeks eccentricity. I'll put some links below and until I see you again, have a great week!

Doom music sources
Doom 1 & 2 OST





No comments: