Monday, October 5, 2015

Seven Psychopaths

A couple of days ago I watched a cool movie called Seven Psychopaths (2012). I discovered this movie through Reddit, which was fortunate since I had never even heard if it.
It's written and directed by Martin McDonagh, the man who also wrote In Bruges.

Seven Psychopaths is an odd movie to say the least, and I'm struggling with trying to explain it without spoiling anything.
Essentially Colin Farrell plays Marty, a screenwriter with writers block and a drinking problem. All he has for his script is the title: Seven Psychopaths and a couple of loose ideas about said psychos. His best friend is Billy, who in turn “works” with Hans, played by Christopher Walken. We also get Woody Harrelson who plays Charlie, a violent and deranged gangster who wants his beloved shih tzu back. Weirdness and mayhem ensues.

This doesn't sound all that interesting in itself, and therein lies my problem. All the things that make this movie so good are things I can't tell you about or I ruin the film for you. But it's good. Almost great in fact. It's funny, sad and absurd, all at once. The balance in my opinion is excellent.

You know the saying “it's the journey, not the destination”? Seven Psychopaths is all about the journey. The dialog is king here, and the actors, most of them veterans, pull it off beautifully.

I went into this movie with pretty specific expectations, but what I found was both more and less than I figured. At the end I was really pleased. What I thought would be a cool crime/action drama turned out to be more of a dark comedy about life, love and serial killers. It's an imperfect description but it'll have to do.

I have no complaints about this film. I'm not sure I'll ever watch it again, but I do recommend it. It is truly worth watching. To make my point, I'm linking the scene that got me interested below. Make up your own mind.

Until next time, have a great week and stay out of trouble! 

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsQq_w1jt5A

 

No comments: