Monday, September 15, 2014

Utopia

Back in July I happily blogged that Utopia was getting a new season. In case you don't remember what Utopia is, since my original post about the first season was back in 2013, it's a British TV show about a fictitious group called the Network, and their plans for the world.

Anyway, I just finished the 2nd season last Friday, and wow, mind absolutely blown!

Be warned: SPOILERS AHEAD! (at least small ones)


Basically, every other show (hyperbole, I know) out there should take heed from Utopia on how to do a new season. The first one ended perfectly. Sure there were questions unanswered, but that's OK. Not everything needs to be spelled out. All the major points were covered. But the second season just adds so much more, though without anything feeling padded or overblown. At no point did I feel that the creators had gone too far (in a show that actually showcases the murder of children) or jumped the proverbial shark.

The visuals were even better than before, and the recurring characters, which is pretty much everyone that didn't die in season one have been “updated” somehow, and not necessarily for he better. The one line-up change is that the actor playing Donaldson has changed, but that's of no real consequence.

The very first episode in season two is a flashback to how it came about that Janus was created, and it may actually be my favorite episode if them all, but only because you know who the principal characters are and what they will do in the future.

I could go on. And on and on.... but not without spoiling it for those of you who haven't had the chance to enjoy Utopia. Yet.

I strongly urge everyone to watch this great show, but beware: the going get's very tough at times. And by that I don't mean it's hard to follow the plot. The subject matter and how it's handled can be pretty gruesome, and the tone of the show is at times pretty damn depressing.

That's all I gave to say really, if you're not convinced, there's nothing else I can do.

Until next week, when we'll be talking about magic, have a great week!

No comments: