Monday, August 31, 2015

Is it good?

Last week, I decided to watch a couple of films I've been meaning to watch for a while. You know how it is, something always comes up, and then you forget.

I started with American Hustle (2013).
To me this is a very interesting movie. It is extremely well done, capturing the 70's incredibly well. Cinematography, acting, story etc, are all satisfying, but for some reason I still don't like it. I don't know why though. I've tried to pin down the reason but I can't.
There is no one thing that I could point to and say “look at that, that's just terrible”. In fact, I really like many of the scenes, but over all... Not my movie. Which is weird, since I generally love heist/con movies.
So you need to give this one a shot yourself. I certainly recommend it, since I should love it, but I don't. Go see it.

Then I scratched a much older movie off my list with Boogie Nights (1997).
I've heard a lot about this movie, and being that it's about the adult movie scene in the late 70's and early 80's, it's not a child friendly movie in any way. Was it good? No, not really.
The acting is good though, and the cinematography is excellent, but the story is predictable and the balance is way off.

Spoiler Time

We follow a young man as he becomes a star in the world of adult cinema. He's a natural and quickly becomes rich and famous. But he gets into progressively harder drugs and looses his career. And my biggest problem is that his rise goes by pretty quickly and then the fall takes forever. An it's not only unpleasant to watch, it's tedious as well.

So I can't recommend Boogie Nights. Sure it wasn't a waste of time, but I could have been watching something better with out a doubt, and so can you.


I'm off to watch more movies, so until I see you again, have a great week!

No comments: