Monday, August 24, 2015

True Detective 2

This winter past I blogged about the first season of True Detective. In order to save you some time I'll recap here: I absolutely loved it!

So when the second season rolled around, I was pretty exited to watch it. And that's what today's post is all about, season 2 of True Detective.

To start, I'd like to say that the two seasons have nothing to do with each other. Not a damn thing. So one mustn't compare them, if at all possible. For me, it wasn't entirely possible, but to be fair they really have to be judged alone. So here we go:

The acting is good, and I liked the choice of actors and the characters they play. Everyone did what they were supposed to do, no complaints. Well, one small complaint. Every one of the main characters in this season did several really dumb things. And at times these choices felt a bit forced. But to be fair, they were all under tremendous amounts of pressure, and you don't always make the right call when you're coming apart at the seams. You'll have to make up your own mind here.

The general atmosphere is amazing, easily in my mind the best thing about the season. Where season 1 wallowed in rural decay and isolation, season 2 is all about the urban hellscape. Dirty, harsh, noisy and brutal, it's a marvelous depiction of the urban jungle. Full points here, A+.

The main plot though, is extremely convoluted. Even while binge watching, I had a hard time following it at times. But the story is good, so hang in there. My biggest complaint is that originally the 2nd season was to be about the occult history of the American transport system, or something like that. If you choose to view occult in it's original meaning i.e. hidden, then yeah, that's kind of what the season is about. I'm however more used to interpreting occult as supernatural and that this season isn't.
There were times when I thought we'd get something at least mystical, but if there was any, I missed it.

My biggest complaint over all, is the ending. The final episode clocks in at around 90 minutes and it ties up all the loose ends. But here more than anywhere else, characters make those silly decisions and I didn't like it. I even predicted several events way ahead of time, and was sadly correct.

It maybe that the creator Nic Pizzolatto was rushed for time. Nothing felt out of place and wrong, but I've come to expect so much more from him, and here's where I foolishly compare the two seasons with each other. The S1 had many moments that were true heavy hitters, something that was lacking in S2, even though there were a few. S1 was honed and polished until it shone lie an evil jewel, and S2 is more like an alternative, more brutal take on The Wire. Not that being compared to The Wire is in any way a bad thing, it's just that these are two different shows, and should remain so.

Over all, season 2 is absolutely worth watching as long as you are thoroughly aware that it is not season 1 and never will be. Had the two seasons been switched, with S1 as S2, I think the pressure on Mr. Pizzolatto to create season 3 would be inhuman. Season 1 is better, yes, but season 2 is good. Go watch it.

That's it good folks, until next time, have a truly nice week!



No comments: