Monday, June 24, 2013

So many choices!

If you like sitting down with your friends for a night of gaming, be it an RPG or maybe a board game or perhaps a card game, you've probably encountered an all too common problem:

What to play?

Of course you can peruse some off the many lists available online, but then a new problem might arise, namely:

Is this game any good for me/us?

Fear not, dear friend, for I have found us all some help!

First up is Game Geeks.

Here you can sample the wisdom of long time GM and Professor Kurt Wiegel as he reviews RPG's and RPG supplements. Just go to Episode Guide and you can view (as I'm writing this) 214 suitably short review videos. I've enjoyed watching them all even if I'm not really all that interested in a particular game, but I have also found several new RPG's I might have to try, some I wouldn't have even heard of if not for Game Geeks.

Are you not in the mood for Role-playing, and would rather have something more relaxed? Maybe something humorous and silly to enjoy while sipping on a beer? Why not watch Beer and Board Games?

B&BG is a group of friends who sit down, drink beer, play games, get drunk and insult each other. They also improvise songs and do silly impressions. Now if you're thinking why would I want to watch that?, don't worry. That's what I thought, but I'm up to season three, and I've laughed my ass off at their shenanigans more than once. Just be warned, their language is neither child nor work appropriate.
Like Game Geeks, I've found a couple of games I'm definitely going to have to try as soon as I can lay my hands on them. I've even found a couple of different beers I'd like to try.
I should point out, that the first 2-3 episodes aren't all that good, but they quickly found their format, so either stick with it, or skip them. Your choice. 

So, have a look and a laugh, and hopefully you'll find something worth your time!

No comments: