Monday, June 17, 2013

Father of the Wolf

Today's post is somewhat unusual in that it will cover three different subjects that I usually keep separate, but please bear with me.

You see, last week I started reading Fatherland by Robert Harris. Then I had to stop reading it, because it kept me awake when I should have been sleeping. But I finished it over the weekend, and damn, it's good!

In a nutshell, it's an alternative history novel, where Nazi Germany won the war, but what the book is about is not what makes it so good. In a sense it's a fairly “common” detective story, and if you're familiar with certain happenings in Germany during the war, the big secret isn't all that dramatic. Rather it's Harris use of language and his skill in creating tense moments that really makes the book in my opinion.
His knowledge of the Nazi plans for the rebuilding of Germania had they won, also serves him well in creating a Nazi society set in the 1960's. Though with the exception of certain technologies such as TV and helicopters, the story might almost be set in the 40's.

If you're interested in this sort of thing, you really ought to read this book.

However, in 1994, HBO made Fatherland into a movie with the same name starring Rutger Hauer and Miranda Richardson. Do yourself a favor and stay far away from this anemic and rather dull film. It has nothing on the book, as is the usually the case. It's hurried, boring and somehow manages to miss everything that makes the novel so exciting. A real disappointment.

Finally, I thought I'd go off on a slight tangent with the subject matter.
Later on this year (Q4) we'll be getting a brand new Wolfenstein game!

This really made my eyes light up, since I've been a huge fan ever since Wolfenstein 3D came out in 1992. I played the demo over and over again, eventually (many years later) playing through most of the rest of the game. The only reason I didn't finish it was because my eyes had gotten used to more modern graphics. I even manged to get my time speed running through the first level down to 21 seconds. Good times!

Then Return to Castle Wolfenstein popped up in 2001, and I played it to death. Where Eagles Dare is one of my favorite war movies, and parts of RtCW captures that feel so incredibly well. The rest is a grim struggle against undead Teutonic monsters and members of the occult branch of the SS. Great game!

In 2009 we got Wolfenstein, and this game I didn't finish, mostly due to the content in the final part. Up to a point, it's a really cool game, enough of the old and plenty of new things to keep us old Wolfers happy, but then it basically turns into a long series of Boss Fights, which I really could do without.

So why do I bring up the new Wolfenstein: The New Order here? Well, because it's set in an alternative history, in the 1960's and guess what? That's right boys and girls, the Nazis won the war. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. But I have to say I feel bad for good old Blazkowicz. All these games, countless Nazis dead at his hands, and they win? Was Blazkowicz the only one doing any fighting? Did all the other Allies just sit around? I guess we'll find out.

I for one eagerly await this game!

No comments: