Monday, May 31, 2021

The Master of the Task

 

Alright, I'm 95% sure I have not blogged about this before so here goes.

If you had asked me a year ago what my favorite British game show is, I'd have said 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown, which is a hilarious show. I highly recommend it, but these days my answer has to be: Taskmaster.

Taskmaster is weird, odd, funny and wonderful. In every season five British actor/comedians, and sometimes others, compete against each other in a series of absolutely ludicrous tasks, ranging from throwing a potato into a hole without stepping on the carpet surrounding the hole, to entertaining a mayor, to filming an upside down film.

A large part of the fun is the contestants trying to find loopholes in the tasks combined with the sharp wit these professionals are so good at.

The contestants are a veritable who's-who of talent, and it keeps getting better. The only constants are the Taskmaster himself, Greg Davies and his “assistant” Alex Horne. The show was originally created by Horne, who also participates in some tasks, but is usually just the administrator during tasks. Greg Davies is the ultimate judge and distributor of points and humorous insults.

The show became a massive success, spawning international versions in countries such as Belgium, Sweden, Spain, Denmark, Norway, Finland, the US and New Zealand.

You can find some of the show on the official Youtube channel, but a casual search of he site can net you several seasons. I don't know what else to say really, just look for yourself. I'll link a few of the tasks below.

That's that and all that. Join me again next time and until then, have a great week!

No comments: