Monday, June 17, 2019

Third time lucky?

I mentioned last week that I subscribed to HBO for Chernobyl and True Detective 3. We did Chernobyl last week so to no ones surprise I'm sure, we're talking True Detective.

Back when I watched the first season of True Detective, I couldn't praise it enough. Then the second season rolled around, and well... it's not bad, but it's nowhere near the genius of season 1. Now, finally we have season 3. I'll try to be as spoiler free as possible.

Season 3 stars Mahershala Ali as Wayne 'Purple' Hays and Stephen Dorff as Roland West, the two main detectives investigating the disappearance of two preteens.

The story is set in Arkansas, in three time periods; 1980, 1990 and 2015. The kids vanished in 1980, the case resurfaces in 1990 and in 2015 both detectives are old men with Hays (M. Ali) suffering from what is most likely dementia or Alzheimer.

This being a season of True Detective, things are gloomy, sinister and threatening. There is strange symbolism all around, and corruption and conspiracies everywhere. At least that's how it feels.

The use of three times periods as opposed to season one's two periods, is a bit much. They pull it off well enough, but there are scenes where you have to look closely at Dorff's haircut and jacket to get which period it is. They could have made it clearer. 2015 is obvious with gray hair and excellent old age makeup.

In fact, the season is extremely solid in how it is made, no complaints there whatsoever. Actors, sound, cinematography etc. all good and solid.

The biggest flaw in my opinion is the story. Not only do they reference season 1 directly, the whole season seems almost like a homage or love letter to season 1. Though by the end it becomes clear that this is no mistake and I found most of my earlier misgivings laid to rest. As I watched episode after episode, I got a creeping feeling that they were just trying to remake season 1 to appease the fans, but I'm sure that they weren't doing that and that you are in fact meant to feel that way.

In the end I was happy to have seen it, but perhaps I should have waited a day or two after consuming the sheer brilliance of Chernobyl before watching this. In comparison to that, season 3 is a bit flat.

If True Detective gets a fourth season I think they need to dig deep. Neither season 2 or 3 were bad in any way, but it's still the first season that carries them forward. A hypothetical fourth needs to be a home run or the series will probably run into the sand.

So, yeah, a good piece of television and no mistake, but still no where near the amazing first season.

That's that. Until next time, have a great week!

No comments: