Monday, December 14, 2015

Brooklyn Nine-Nine

I recently got into Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Usually I'm not that fond of American comedy, instead preferring the British school, but Brooklyn Nine-Nine is awesome.

We follow the shenanigans of the 99th precinct in Brooklyn and the craziness that goes on therein. And it is crazy. There are elements of slap-stick but surprisingly little. It's used more as a spice than the whole meal. This leaves us with a show that's clever, witty and warm-heated without being sappy.

The characters are naturally stereotypes. But they also have other characteristics that defy the typical cliches. Like Scully and Hitchcock, two lazy, old incompetent detectives that are pretty much just running out the clock, but on occasion show genuine police skills. They get a lot of abuse from the others which they take with grace and they actively discourage any praise since that would mean they might be takes seriously which would mean more responsibility.
No character is badly written.

I've seen seasons one and two, that's 45 episodes (they are only 22 minutes each) and I've laughed out loud at least once in almost every episode. That is, for me, very rare in with comedy show.

So if you need a pick-me-up for your mood in these stressful pre-christmas times, consider a dose of Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

I'm going to bow out here. I was thinking of going into more detail about this wonderful show, but I have had maybe four hours of fitful sleep, and I fear I'm neither terribly coherent nor eloquent.

So until next time, have a funny week! 

 

No comments: