Monday, May 11, 2015

Rumors and petitions

As I mentioned last week, the internet is buzzing with curiosity about Bethesdas announcement that they'll be hosting their first ever press conference at E3 this year. Next month in fact.
The money seems to be on Fallout 4, which would be great, but many are hoping for Dishonored 2, which I also wouldn't mind. There is an outside chance of Elder Scrolls 6, but I think that's really unlikely since it's only been four years since Skyrim, but you never know.

However, I read – or watched – I can't remember which, an interview with Todd Howard, the executive producer and game director at Bethesda, and in it he said that they're not really interested in making sequels just to make them (cough Ubisoft, cough). And he used Dishonored as an example of a game they're not going to sequel. Of course with established franchises like Fallout and Elder Scrolls, sequels are not only inevitable but really sought after.

If they do make Fallout 4, I hope it will take place in a city environment like Fallout 3, rather than a desert like New Vegas. I do like New Vegas, don't get me wrong, but ruined cityscapes really speak to me far more than mere wilderness. F3 had a good blend of wasteland and ruins, but it's old and done and I'm ready for something new.

In other interesting game related news, I have heard that EA have actually managed to turn their Origins store into something worthwhile. Good customer service combined with money back guarantees have gone a long way to make Origins a good place to get games. I haven't tried it yet, but the buzz sounds promising.
Likewise Good Old Games, or Gog.com have launched a beta for their store client, which should be familiar to anyone who uses Steam. Gog have gotten a lot of good press lately with an ever increasing catalog of games both old and new that they actually quality check. Again I have not yet used their services, but it seems that Steam is getting some healthy competition and not a minute to soon.

Finally for this week, I started watching a let's play for Bloodborne, a Dark Souls style Gothic game. Dripping with dark, gloom and blood, this game looks amazing, but it's PS4 only... I can really honestly state that I hate the practice of only releasing a game on one platform. The number of people who'd go out and buy a 380€ console just to play one game can't be that high, so it's like throwing away money.
And I'm not alone in wanting Bloodborne on the PC. There have been rumors since launch that it would come to PC, but I don't believe it. In fact a petition to bring this game to PC has been going around for a while and garnered quite a few signatures. But we'll see. I won't be holding my breath though.

Oh yeah, an anti Bloodborne to PC petition has also been going around if you can believe it. Some PS4 owners have actually signed this in order to try to keep Bloodborne PS4 only, and I quote:

PC gamers are bunch of elitist douche bags. They don't deserve this PS4 exclusive. If they want to play Bloodborne they should buy a PS4 like gentlemen.

How childish can you get?

Until next time, have a great week!

No comments: