Monday, March 30, 2015

Bloody Games

Continuing on last weeks themes of Let's Plays, I've been watching several more. Maybe not the most productive way to spend my time, but it's entertaining and the players are people who do it for a living, so they get more viewers.

Being an old school fan of everything Warhammer, well not everything but you get the point, I discovered the joys of Blood Bowl. I played the board game version a bit back in the 90's, but it has existed as a computer game since 2009. Well there was version in 1995 but I know diddly-squat about it.
Anyway, I found a league on Youtube with some of my favorite 'tubers like TotalBiscuit and Angry Joe. It was a riot. Great fun, a laugh a minute. A heady mix of humor, American football and lots of fantasy style violence. If you like those things, it's well worth checking out. Personally the football part is my least favorite in itself, since I never watch sports, but here it works oh so well. I then found another league with most of the same people but played with forty second turns instead of three minutes. Very hectic but hilarious. Speed Bowl indeed.

It hasn't been all sports violence though. There's been murder as well. I've enjoyed watching Dodger play two Sherlock Holmes games on her channel, PressHeartToContinue.

Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper wasn't a very good game to be honest. I enjoyed the play-through, but the game is pretty awful. Particularly the accents. “Goooood eeevening doctorrr” doesn't sound the least bit British no matter how you slice it. The story is OK, but the gameplay is ghastly. Way to many “I'll tell you, but first you must find my lost bag” elements.

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments on the other hand is magnificent. Both technically and story wise, this is a superior game. Unlike the ripper game which is one case, in C&P you solve a series of different cases, two of which are based pretty faithfully on Doyle's original stories. The others could have been written by him though, that's how good they are.

Now in a way I wish I had played them myself, but I find I have very little patience for these kind of games, although I do like them. Thus Let's Plays are the perfect solution. I get the story and the mystery, and someone else get's to deal with the headache that comes from the puzzles.

That's it for this week folks, I'm a bit tired and my brain just won't cooperate today. See you next time, and until then, have a great week!

No comments: