Monday, October 21, 2013

This is the end

A few nights ago I sat down and enjoyed This is the end, the new movie by Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen.
I first became aware of this movie from the most natural source there is, it's trailer. This trailer in fact:
Since I'm assuming you just watched that, I don't think I'm in too much danger of spoiling anything, so here goes.

The whole point of the movie is that all actors play themselves in an apocalyptic scenario. Usually I'm a bit leery of that concept, but here it works pretty well.
Now if you were to accuse the creators of this film of tooting their own horns and bragging through out, I couldn't really fault you for it. Nor could I blame you if you complained that it's Christian propaganda, since these accusations are technically a bit true. Can something be a bit true? Eh, just go with it.

These points are valid, but it would be pretty damn unjust to leave it at that, since it's not all This is the end is. Mainly it's a really funny movie. I laughed heartily several times and chuckled even more.

But why are these accusations true? Well the actors keep talking about the stuff they've done previously and it gets a bit much, but what would you expect actors to do at a Hollywood party? Exactly that! So I suppose we'll have to forgive them.

Then there's the religious bit. Maybe a little spoiler, but the trailer does show all the necessary clues. The apocalyptic bit is the Rapture. Now the bible does talk about the Rapture, but the version showed here, and that's so popular especially in the U.S. was invented in the 1830's, and it annoyed me a bit that they couldn't have used another apocalypse. Maybe it's just me.
Either way, this is the route they chose to go down, and the movie as a whole is good enough that I didn't really care too much. At least it wasn't zombies. We've had enough zombies for a while right?

In the end, This is the end is a funny film with good effects and decent acting. If you're looking to just relax and have a good time, check it out.




No comments: