Monday, July 22, 2013

A friend to your wallet

The Steam Summer Sale is almost over. As of writing this, there's a measly 45 minutes left, but I'm not sad. You see I got all that I wanted out of it's juicy discounted innards.

I don't know if it was on Cracked or Reddit, that I stumbled over one of the best economic points available concerning gaming;

Price divided per hour of entertainment received.

But let me add a small caveat. I'm a PC gamer. Games for consoles are pretty damn expensive. Not that PC games aren't rough on your wallet on release, but eventually, like on the glorious Steam sales, the same games plummet in cost, if only you have the patience to wait.

So back to the price / hours.

When was the last time you went to the movies? How expensive was the ticket? Did you get away with less than 10€ (or dollars)? Even so, you paid something to the point of 5€ per hour of fun.
and lets not go into what an evening out costs...

Let me compare that to my copy of Skyrim, which comes down to 0,107€ per hour.

Or Deus Ex Human Revolution, 0,208€ per hour enjoyed.

Even Dishonored that I just bought on the sale comes down to 0,437€ an hour.

The “worst case” in my Steam library is The Sims 3, that I've spent a fairly unholy amount of money on, clocks out on 2,33€ an hour of unbeatable fun, and what that comes down to is that gaming can be the most financially affordable form of entertainment around. Just as long as you don't shop unwisely.

Good gaming friends!

No comments: