Monday, March 25, 2024

The Real Monuments Men

I sat down and started to watch

The Monuments Men (2014),

but I turned it off at the 40 minute mark. I went in to this movie blind, knowing only that is is co-written, directed by and starring George Clooney, with Matt Damon, Bill Murray, Cate Blanchett, John Goodman and many more.

The movie is based on the true story about the Monuments Men, a group of art experts, museum curators and such, who were tasked with not only trying to preserve important art from the ravages of World War II, but also to track down and return all the art the top Nazis had looted.

Unfortunately, the movie is a complete mess. A movie has to be more than a collection of almost random scenes and up until I turned off the movie, that is all it is. It jumps around at will, inserting scenes that make no sense and then blissfully moving on to something completely different,with no sense of location of chronological order. It's such a shame with the actors involved as they are all really good and this is a story worth telling.

Since I want to use this blog to promote things I like, I won't say anything more about it, just that I do not recommend this movie. This left me in a bit of a pickle, as I still needed something for you. Then I was struck by an idea. Since the movie is based on a true story, there might be a documentary about the subject, and there are in fact many.

So, I present to you Episode 3 of Raider is the Lost Art: The Monuments Men. So that's that and all that. Join me again next time and until then, have a great week!

 

No comments: