Monday, February 20, 2023

Why is it so creepy?

 Today I want to talk about J-Horror, or Japanese Horror. 

It's a style of horror that I'm passingly familiar with. Ringu (1998), The Grudge (2004), Ju-On: The Grudge 2, Dark Water (2002) and One Missed Call (2008) are all excellent examples of J-horror, and I enjoyed them a great deal. 

There is something special with these kinds of movies, but rather than repeat what others have said, and said better at that, I'm going to present you with two Youtube videos.

The first one is A Short History of Japanese Horror by the channel One Hundred Years of Cinema. I recommend you watch this first to get a good overview of horror in Japan. This video can't be embedded, so just follow the link.

Then watch The Grudge & Ringu: What Makes Japanese Horror Creepy? by Blulavasix.

Both videos have disturbing footage, so if you are sensitive, be careful. Then again, if you are sensitive, you probably aren't interested in Japanese Horror to begin with. Either way, you are warned and my conscience is clear.

 

So enjoy and all that. Join me again next time and until then, have a great and ghost free week!  


 

No comments: