Monday, October 12, 2020

An interesting discussion

 

Today I want to talk a bit more about Microsoft buying Zenimax Media, or more specifically Bethesda.

There is nothing concrete as such to mention, there are no new big announcements but that is to be expected.

Last week I tripped over an interview, or actually more of a discussion, headed by Larry “Major Nelson” Hryb, Director of Programming for Xbox Live, (what a title....). In this four-way discussion, he talks to Phil Spencer, the VP of games at Microsoft, and Pete Hines and Todd Howard from Bethesda.

This interview is notable not for what is being said as that is the usual “we're excited to work together” and “great opportunities” blah blah that these things always are. Much like when a big blockbuster is being released, all the actors gush about the director and each other, and nothing substantial is being said. This is natural since they have to say something and they naturally can't talk smack about each other. That just isn't on.

In this vein the video doesn't mention anything dramatic, but it does give some interesting history between Microsoft and Bethesda., going all the way back to Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. What I also found interesting is their demeanor. Phil seems pleased as he always does, and why not? He is killing it. But both Pete and Todd seem to me to be slightly relieved.

It could be my imagination, of course, I'm neither a psychologist nor a professional interrogator, so my interpretation is purely gut instinct. Add to this that especially Todd has a hell of a poker face, but I'm 95% sure that they are relieved to be working under Microsoft rather than just Zenimax, and if so it would bear out my suspicion that most of the nonsense surrounding Fallout 76 came from the Zenimax bosses and Bethesda was left to clean it up and carry the blame. I could be wrong, but here's hoping...

So, if you’re interested, give the video a look, it's 25 minutes long. Either way, I hope to see you next time and until then, have a great week and stay safe! (wash your hands and wear a mask)

Direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI2IPeocbAA

 

 

 

No comments: