Monday, November 2, 2015

World War Cthulhu

Today I want to talk about a collection of short stories I just finished reading.

WorldWar Cthulhu contains 22 short stories all with their own illustrations by M. Wayne Miller. The stories all share two points, a war of some sorts and the Lovecraft Mythos.

Over all, it's a mixed bag. Naturally another reviewer might like stories that left me cold and dislike the ones that I loved, but I feel confident when I say this is a good book.

Settings wise, the stories range from the Trojan war to the future. If I recall correctly there were two sci-fi stories, neither of which I liked very much and two Trojan tales that were both pretty OK.

My favorites were White Feather by T. E. Grau set in the American revolution, The Boonieman by Edward M. Erdelac set in Vietnam and Cold War, Yellow Fever by Pete Rawlik set in the Cold War, more specifically the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Most stories were solid and well worth reading if you are a Lovecraft fan. Unfortunately the majority of tales revolved around the Deep Ones and the Mi-Go, and I would have liked to see more variation, but it's not so much what you do but how you do it.

Surprisingly, there weren't more stories set in WWII, and in a pleasant twist there was one tale concerning the IRA which you don't see much of in books like this.

I won't go through all the stories as that would be insane, so I'll close by saying this: if you are a Mythos fan, read this book. The over all quality is very high, and even the stories I didn't really like were fine. Not great but decent. So I do recommend this anthology.

That's all I have for you this time so until we see each other again, have a great week!

No comments: