Monday, July 21, 2014

Promises promises

A couple if days ago I grabbed the opportunity to watch Eastern Promises. I became aware of this film mainly due to it's infamous naked sauna knife fight. Maybe you've seen it on Youtube, maybe not. Anyway, another reason why I wanted to watch it was that I haven't seen Viggo Mortensen (male lead) since his awesome portrayal of Aragorn son of Arathorn in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. This prompted me to watch this film.
I knew fairly early on that I wanted to review it here, but I really can't. You see, apart from the knife fight, it's not a very violent movie, it's much more of a drama with a midwife and the Russian Mafia in London. But I can't really tell you what it's about without explaining a couple of things, which would in turn spoil the whole shebang.
But it is a good movie. It really is. Not great, but definitely watchable. Naomi Watts does a good job as the female lead, and Viggo is awesome as the cool-as-a-cucumber Russian gangster. I certainly recommend it.

Of course I can't leave you with merely an anti-review, you deserve more. So, I'm delighted to be able to tell you all that one of my favorite British TV series has gotten a second season: Utopia! I reviewed it very early on here on Eccentric Spheres. The first season was brilliant and it seems the second is a prequel. I don't know yet if it's any good, since I'm re-watching the first season to remind me of all the goings on. I'll give you my opinion as soon as I can.

Our third installment for today is a Youtube series with the apt name HotPepper Gaming. It's mainly video game reviews but the reviewers eat hot peppers before they begin. Not only is it hilarious to watch them desperately try to remain focused while their mouths (and ears) are on fire, but I think it makes the reviews more honest. Sure they're working from notes, but you can't be manipulative and gimmicky when you're crying and doing your damnedest not to scream in pain. Some fail...

That's it my friends, cya next week.

No comments: