Monday, February 3, 2014

Elder Scrolls Online

I have been aware of Elder Scrolls Online (ESO) for some time now. But when it comes to money, I like to be cautious. Games are expensive if you buy them at or just after release, so unless you like wasting cash, it pays off to do some research before buying.

Now with ESO, I've been doubly apprehensive. I love the Elder Scrolls, even though I got to the party late, as it were. I missed Morrowind, not to mention the ones before that, so I jumped on the train in Oblivion town. This was in the days before Steam, so I have no idea how long I played it, but it was a long time. If I had to guess, I'd say about 400 hours or so, and Skyrim is now at the 490 hour mark. I'm not saying this to brag, but to illustrate my caution regarding ESO.

You see, it's always scary when a game line you love makes the transition to an MMO. Many features can't be translated into the MMO-sphere, the game stops being all about your character, mechanics change, I could go on but I'm sure you get the idea. I've been terrified that ESO would turn out to be just another World of Warcraft clone.

Yesterday however, I sat down and watched some development videos, and I was blown away! Bethesda Softworks have done an excellent job. Unlike The Old Republic, I'm not in the beta for ESO, so naturally I have no hard, first hand facts. Besides if I did, I couldn't blog about it. The NDA is still in effect. The following observations are all based on the videos Bethesda has released.

One of the core points in both Oblivion an Skyrim is the freedom to pick up a weapon and learn how to use it through fighting. The same goes for all skills, spells and gear. If you want to play a necromancer, the games don't serve you the skills on a plate. You have to go out and figure out how to be the best necromancer you can be.
Now, MMO's are notoriously rigid in their classes in order to keep everything balanced and “fair” (and they never are). But it seems ESO will grant you the freedom to go the way you want when you want.
Sure there are four starting classes, but they are there to help you in the direction you want to go. Not to stop you from doing something, but to help you.
You could start as an assassin, train up some spells, then strap on heavy armor and become a battlemage, eventually transitioning into a full time mage, all on one character. This is revolutionary in this bloggers experience.
How many times have you been playing a character in an MMO, seen another player, and thought “Man, I wish I could do that, but I don't feel like re-rolling”? I have, and more than once. Of course in my case, I'm an Altoholic, so I love rolling new characters anyway. But this is still an awesome feature.

And speaking of character creation, take a look at the creation options. An incredible amount of alternatives, including height differences, separate hip and shoulder widths etc etc. I love it!

And finally, a game where you can learn all the crafting skills on one character should you choose to do so. Simply wonderful. I for one am going to pre order this game, and that's something I almost never do.

Finally I love the fact that there are three factions instead of the typical two. This should add a nice tension, particularly to PVP . Way too often, one side becomes irretrievably dominant in the PVP aspect, and that's a drag.
I'm looking forward to April 4th a great deal now, and not just cause I'm sick of the winter time.

I was going to embed the relevant youtube videos here, but the sharing is disabled so here are the links:




Good game y'all!

No comments: