Monday, March 11, 2013

Conspiracies and dirty secrets

Today I want to bring two great shows to your attention.

State of Play (2003) and Utopia (2013).

Both are british, meaning they are fairly short, clocking in at six 1-hour long episodes, but they both manage to pack in a lot of story in these six hours. And I mean alot. Neither show is the kind you can watch with one eye while doing something else. You will need to pay attention.

Why did I choose to talk about these two in particular? Well, aside from being absolutely amazing, their common denominator is the conspiracy theme.
However, they approach this theme from two different sides. Where State of Play spends most of it's time in the realms of media and parliament, Utopia runs mostly in the streets, back rooms and abandoned buildings. This creates two very different atmospheres.

Both shows contain a fair amount of violence, with Utopia coming out on top, if that matters to you. In fact, Utopia dares to “go there” to such an extent that I was quite shocked. But I have to applaud them for daring to push boundaries. A great story sometimes have to grab you by the neck and shake you about a bit. Push you out of your comfort zone.

When it comes to the characters, State of Play has it over Utopia in my book. The characters in Utopia aren't bad by any means, and I'd like to commend the child actors in particular, but they aren't as deep or compelling as the cast of State of Play. I just found myself caring more about the people in State.

Next, let's take a look at the core of the shows; the conspiracies. State of Play has a more run of the mill kind of conspiracy, with pretty normal means and motives. Utopia's goals are harder to explain without spoiling anything, but suffice to say, I was pretty confused at first, and finally rather blown away.

If I were to call State of Play a normal show, I'd do it a disservice. It is not normal, but only in how it elevates itself above the rest. It looks normal, and it acts normal, but dark things hide under the surface. That said, I believe most people could watch it and like it.

Utopia on the other hand, is not for everyone I think. Brilliant but pretty disturbing. I'd say it recommends itself more to people with broader interests. Definitely not a family show, so put the kids to bed.

I have heard rumors of a second Utopia season, but I have no idea if this is true. I certainly hope it's not, as it's good as it sits. Less is without question more.

State of Play was made into film in 2009, starring Russell Crowe and Ben Affleck, but I can't and I won't recommend this film. It's pure garbage, especially compared to the show. Stay away.

So now I've given you twelve hours of exciting entertainment. No excuse to claim you're bored. Have fun!

No comments: